Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What should I start with? Attempting to be an artist, or the limitations of age?

I just read a blog that my aunt tricia posted. She was talking about her struggle as an artist and disappointments when things dont go the way you planned. You try and try to realize your a brilliant artist, fortunately for tricia, she already has. She's a brilliant actress, just waiting for the right oppurtunity. I am realizing that i am a descent writer, and working on a great idea. Ideas flow from my brain, and the plot progresses, characters develope, and now.....dead end. I cannot decide on a major plot point that will determine two characters problems and interactions for the rest of the book. So, what do I do? Do i take the easy way out, and erase it all together, incorporate what it means in some other fashion, or spend the days necessary to work it into the plot, probably delaying the first draft by over a week or two. I feel trapped, with brainstormer;s block. Unable to act, because it would pivot the whole book, and almost ruin it, if i made the wrong descision.

Moving on to the limitations of age. Too tired. I'll talk about it later.

3 comments:

A Serious Girl said...

I think you should write both. You have plenty of time. The lovely thing about being a writer in your position, you have NO deadlines except for the one's you give yourself. So give yourself a deadline that is twice as long as you think you need and allow yourself the luxury of being able to write in BOTH directions. That way, you can pick and choose what you like the best. You might end up finding a whole slew of things you never expected. If you give yourself freedom, you will always find gold.

I love you.

Scrumpi-D said...

i love that you write, that you care about what you write, that you are involved in what you are writing, and that your characters and what happens to them matters to you - it's soooo NOT commercial, and wonderfully authentic - gads you ARE amazing! 123

SchizotypalVamp said...

I have a lot to say about age, as you can probably imagine. Though, the day after tomorrow I have a midterm, so I probably won't be online(email me if you need something).